Saturday, January 16, 2010

I Had The Time Of My Life... Thank You, Green Day!


..
Where do I even begin? So okay, I was prepared to love the gig no matter what, considering how big of a fan I am, but the Green Day gig at the Singapore Indoor Stadium on Thursday was indeed the BEST CONCERT I’VE EVER SEEN.

Period.
...

But, first things first. Yes, it was a dream come true for me to watch Billie Joe and Gang perform in the flesh. And it did feel like a dream when they burst on to the stage around 9pm to tear into their first number, “21st Century Breakdown”. “Holy Dookie, Batman; this is really happening!” I said to myself.

And from the get-go, Green Day displayed greatness that, I’m pretty sure, would be beyond most other bands in the world today. Oozing charisma and raw punk energy, these guys had every single one of the 12,000-strong crowd in the palm of their hands.
...

Tre Cool looked impossibly, well, cool, banging the drums with a smile plastered on his face and not once looking out of breath despite the heavy workload. The dude was also entertaining when called upon to dish out the dramatics; putting on a bra for one of the crazy shticks they did, and even spitting into his pants and on to his… well, you know what.

Mike Dirnt had that crazy energy that was just infectious. I should know, since I was moshed in the pit on his side of the stage!
...
But of course the star of the show was frontman Mr. Armstrong himself. His vocals was in top form, his energy at the highest level and his stagecraft was simply magnificent. Not to say that I was expecting anything less than the best, but to actually see him in action; man, you have to be there to believe it lah.
...

He had everyone under his spell for those 2-something hours; singing, laughing and gasping whenever he wanted us to. He made some people’s dreams come true by getting them onstage and singing along with him. One guy even performed an entire song (“Longview”) with Green Day backing him. Lucky bastard!

Billie Joe also sprayed water and toilet paper (!) into the crowd, broke out into tunes by Elvis and Beatles in the middle of the set, and (here’s the reason why we won’t see them in Malaysia, ever), pulled down his pants to moon the crowd!

As for the setlist, I must say that I don’t have much to complain about, although after the first encore ended, I was kinda bummed out that they hadn’t played “Good Riddance” and “Wake Me Up When September Ends”. But of course they did. Woohoo.

Overall, it was the best concert experience ever so far for me. And it was definitely worth the trip down to Singapore (and some considerable amount of RM as well!).

Speaking of which, a special tribute goes out to the largely Singaporean crowd. They sang their hearts out the entire time and added the final touch of magic to the whole thing. Even Billie Joe proclaimed a few times: “Louder than America!”
...
So yes, it was a dream come true for me, and indeed, I had the time of my life…

Main Set
21st Century Breakdown
Know Your Enemy
East Jesus Nowhere
Holiday
The Static Age
Give Me Novacaine
Are We The Waiting
St. Jimmy
Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Burnout
Hitchin' A Ride
Welcome To Paradise
When I Come Around
Brain Stew
Jaded
Longview
Basket Case
She
King For A Day
21 Guns
Minority

Encore 1American Idiot
Jesus Of Suburbia

Encore 2
Last Night On Earth
Wake Me Up When September Ends
Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin