Monday, February 28, 2011

Weekend In Penang

So, after three long years, the folks at Alt Media went for a brainstorming retreat this past weekend in Penang. Woohoo!
...
And the venue of choice was the Flamingo at the Beach Hotel in Tanjung Bungah. A pretty nice place that exceeded at least my own expectations.
..
It didn't kick off on a right note though as a 6.10pm flight from KL meant we arrived right smack during rush hour, and boy, can Penang really rival KL, no, Bangkok, in the heavy traffic department.
...
We finally arrived at the hotel close to 9pm, took a quick dinner and were off to the brainstorming bits.
..
..
I won't get in the details of the brainstorming (trade secrets mah), but I will just say that it was a great session with a fine balance of work and ample time for everyone to chill, mingle and go wild where appropriate :)
And it was a pretty relaxing getaway for me personally. I mean, look at the view from my room...
...
...Didn't do much of anything else but eat (they serve some good food really for a hotel), and catching up on sleep. Yup, 10-hour sleep-ins are a rarity for me, so again, woohoo!

Apart from that, did the obligatory walk by the beach to soak up some island sun.
...
...
And it was great to see the rest enjoying themselves...
.....
And what about my Jalan Jalan Cari Makan adventure? I had in fact asked MHI viewers to share some must-try Penang makan places and I got more than 160 comments and suggestions. But without my own transport, it was a challenge for me to track down these places.
...
Lucky for me, we had some time before leaving for KL yesterday and the bus took us to Penang Road where the famed Nasi Kandar Line Clear's located. Jackpot!
...
...
And despite a full tummy, thanks to a scrumptious lunch of mee mamak, laksa, chicken wings and kuey teow at the hotel, I wasn't about to let slip the chance of experiencing a classic Penang kandar meal.
...
The place itself has been around for over 80 years (!), and is still maintaining its alley location (don't think it's for the lack of moolah to move into a proper restaurant).
...
...
We ordered nasi, sotong, telur ikan, ayam, sayur and the centrepiece was this awesome fish head curry...
..
...
Pity we had to rush it, so we couldn't really dig in and savour the stuff on our table. But overall, I'd give it a 4/5.
..
And then it was time to head to the airport and bid Penang goodbye. But I'm pretty sure I'll be returning pretty soon. After all, I still have over 150 other suggested makan adventure to work on...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin