Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The MHI Special

So, it was a special episode of Malaysia Hari Ini this past Monday when we broadcasted 'live' from Masjid As-Salam in Puchong Perdana. The occassion? The mass circumcision of some 70 kids! Of course I'm not kidding, I mean, check out the sign...
...

Yup, some 70 kids were getting their foreskin snipped off, and naturally we had to be there. Haha. But credit must go to everyone involved in the whole thing; from the mosque committee members, the bomba, the kids' family members, the silat dudes and of course, our own production team.

And it was pretty cool to be doing MHI from a different location.
...

So what did we actually talk about for almost the entire length of the show? Well, you know, the whole "potong" process lah. (I guess you know now why I blogged about the subject recently, huh?). But it really got me thinking; while such explicit subjects are tabboo in our society, the slicing of schlongs is one of those deemed acceptable. I mean, we were basically going on and on about how the procedure is done, personal experiences, and other "funny" aspects of it. Ironic, huh?

But back to the the day's broadcast, it began with a couple of speeches and marhaban performance.
...
...And then it was time for the "bersiram" ceremony, where the sunat-ees get showered (usually by the friendly neighbourhood bomba) together. The reason? To soften wherever needs to be softened, so the procedure would be less, um, painful.
...
.But it was no ordinary "bersiram" ceremony on that day. Because, game enough to join them showering in public with absolutely no shame was... ME!
...
Yup, it was a bit of history for me as well, as half a million people in the country watched me bermandi-manda with a bunch of kids. It slightly felt like a wet t-shirt contest for me as well...

But hey, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do in the name of TV ratings, so I did it. And judging by comments that I got, M.Zul in a wet baju melayu is not really a bad sight early in the morning. Haha!
...
Anyway, after that, more good stuff happened, as we took the viewers right into the "operation room". Ally even interviewed one of the boys as he was being circumcised! I mean, take that, Reality TV!

Overall, it was a pretty cool TX and so glad we made so many people happy that morning. And for the record, for one reason or another, I ended up showering 5 different times on that day...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin