Monday, October 11, 2010

Bonjour, Cannes!

So this past week, my awesome (day) job took me to Cannes, France for MIPCOM 2010, the largest TV content marketplace that apparently attracted some 12,500 participants this year. It was my first time at MIP and also, my first visit to the place itself. And to that, I say WOOHOO.

A 12-hour flight from KL took me to Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam after which I took another flight to Nice. Check out the view as we approached the city...
...

..
A Euro63-cab ride then took me to Cannes itself. Since the event had already started when I arrived, I dove straight into the action after a quick shower. The hotel was smack right in the middle of town, and after a short walk, there I was at the Palais des Festival, the famous convention centre that also hosts the Cannes Film Festival. You know, the thing that Clooney and co attend almost every year. :)
...

...
After that, it was meetings all day and the gloomy weather limited our outdoor activities. I managed to explore a bit of the magnificent city in the evening on the way to dinner, where I also bumped into some fans. Haha!
...
...Dinner was a magnificent spread of seafood, and basically that's the gastronomic-theme for the whole week. That, and heavenly gelato, which I consumed at least twice a day. Suka hati lah ok?
...
...The next day it was back to the Palais for more meetings and conferences. The weather was beautiful then and really, I can't think of anywhere else that work could be even more pleasurable :)
...
...And oh, in case you're wondering if we bumped into any super-famous people... well, VOILA!
...
...
Gene. Freakin. Simmons. And you know what? He totally exceeded my expectations. I knew he's eloquent and a good businessman and stuff, but the guy really spoke sense and was full of substance when talking about "Building Entertainment Brands". And to that, I stick my tongue out, dude!
......I haven't really waxed lyrical about Cannes itself, but in brief, I can just say that it's one of the most beautiful places I've been to. Have a look lah...
...
But wait! I'm not done yet with the bumping into super-famous people!

So at this one party, I was fast getting bored when the guest of honour walked in...
...
...
Yup, that's Sarah Jessica Parker herself, in town to promote her new reality show, "Work of Art". Mesti ramai dah jealous giler. Haha.
...

I didn't get to do much sight-seeing tho, but I did have a good look at the beachfront area near the Palais, called La Croisette.
...
...It's the place to just hangout, shop at luxury stores, have a panini or two and gawk at topless sunbathers. Alaa, like you wouldn't, you pretentious lot!
...
...
Oh, apart from the seafood and gelato, the whole trip was made sweeter by these delicious little things: MACARONS! They're so good, I don't even have the words for it!
...

...And finally, before I left, I just had to take a walk to the Old Quarters and up the hill to Musee de la Castre. From there, you could literally see the whole of Cannes' town centre. Breathtaking.
... ...


...
Overall, a truly memorable first trip to Cannes and a productive MIPCOM. Then it was off to Paris!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin