Monday, September 21, 2020

Ol' Skool Writers, What Say You?

 

I just read this on RollingStone.com :

"Ziggy Marley is a global music royal with a deep Rolodex."

A couple of things. Pretty sure most of the younger generation don't even know what a rolodex is. And really, do people even use it anymore?

But most of us would know what the expression means. Even if not literally. So you can say that the sentence works. 

Which brings me to something I've been thinking about. If you've been writing for a long time, you're used to old school idioms, metaphors and expressions. So, is it time to evolve and update our own writing, or maybe it depends on the platform and audience?

I mean, when I read "Lagu yang sering bermain di corong radio", I'll be like, who has radios with corongs anymore? Or even, "Lagu yang menjadi siulan ramai". Really? People might share the songs on TikTok, but whistle? But still, we know what they mean lah. 

When I wrote the lyrics to "Lihatlah" for Yazmin Aziz, I began with "Malam tu aku terima nota suara". Cos I highly doubt people breakup via airmail or the public phone anymore. (Hey, at least I try to sound young 😕 )

So, what say you guys? Should we be dropping these words and expressions that have nothing to do with real life anymore, or do we keep them cos you know, we're incorrigibly old school...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin