Wednesday, June 12, 2019

The Liverpool Champions Parade: I Was There!


"It’s the Jurgen Express, mate,” proclaimed a passenger on our 11am Virgin Train from London to Liverpool last Sunday.
By this time, more fans of the newly-crowned European champions had boarded, building further the sense of pure joy and anticipation.
In my ears then, ‘Bittersweet Symphony’ began to play, and as I looked out the window, I saw wind turbines on an English country farm spinning, almost in sync with the uplifting melody of The Verve’s classic tune.

I looked past the wondrous vista dotted with sheep, stallions and cottages and entertained the feeling of pride swelling deep within me.
I always tell people I’ve been a Liverpool fan since I was a dot on an ultrasound scan. A bit of an exaggeration, but this is the only team I’ve supported all my life.
And like all longtime fans, I’ve been through the good and bad times.
The night before, we had sealed an unprecedented sixth European title.  Watching the match in a hotel room in London, I wondered if this was the beginning (finally), of our greatest years yet.
Earlier at the London Euston train station, I was greeted by the sight of fellow Reds, decked out in our colours, waiting for their trains to the North West.
We smiled and nodded at each other.
I was wearing the current season’s Liverpool kit when a local who introduced himself as Joe, struck up a conversation.
He, too, was on the way to the victory parade, but via Crewe where he would meet with his mates and drive up together. We talked about the Madrid win, the close call in the league and our love for the club.
“I have more respect for fans in Asia like yourself,” he said.
“YOU’RE SO FAR AWAY, YET YOU FEEL SO CLOSE TO THE CLUB.”
I smiled in agreement and replied: “Yeah, and you know, the jerseys are rather expensive for the average Malaysians these days, but most of us buy them every season.”
Another Scouser gave me a high five as we walked to the train later.
“I haven’t slept since last night, mate,” he said, adding he was also at the victory parade in 2005.
As the train reached the Liverpool Lime Street Station, the PA guy urged us to be as loud as possible and sing as we disembarked the train. And that’s exactly what hundreds of us did. Oh yes, the party had begun.

For the full story, click HERE

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin