Monday, April 02, 2012

MHI @ Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Skudai

I might be wrong, but I think it was the first time ever that Malaysia Hari Ini (MHI) TX-ed "live" from my home state Johor, last week. Yup, we did a full show on the campus of Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Skudai last Friday and it turned out to be another fun and enlightening broadcast.

Drove down to JB on Thursday and my first thought when I entered UTM was, like seriously, wow! I think the last time I was here was 20 years ago, and I don't remember the campus being this lively and lovely with horses and stuff (I'm not kidding!). There are even parks and trails that I would love to run one day.

We're put up at the Scholar's Inn, a hotel within the campus grounds. It's undergoing some major renovation works but the rooms proved to be a pleasant surprise.


It was a 2-bedroom apartment for me with a flat-screen TV, air-cond, kitchen with some cooking essentials and very comfortable beds. It's open to the public, so you might consider staying here if you're ever in JB.


Of course, that Thursday night, I just had to take my peeps out for some Johor food. But seeing how time was tight and there was still a bit of work to be done, we couldn't really go makan-hopping and settled at just one place; ZZ mee rebus tulang.


Apart from the mee rebus tulang, we also had satay and otak-otak. Everyone agreed that the food was awesome; I mean, the tulangs were left just, well, tulangs.

The next morning, it was time to rock n roll.  In case you didn't know, our broadcast was done in conjunction with UTMost Imagination 2012, the UTM Innovation and Creativity Festival. So there were loads in store for visitors to the 4-day carnival with some amazing stuff on display.

The Carnival, as well as our broadcast was done at the Padang Kawad. We got there around 6am, and the production crew was in the final stages of making sure everything was ready for the TX.


Like I said, it turned out to be a fun and enlightening broadcast. We interviewed the Vice Chancellor, Professor Dato' Ir Dr Zaini Ujang, played with some sumo robots, heard some interesting music, discovered some new inventions and even flagged off a non-conventional bicycle race between the UTM bosses.



The university also invited angkasawan Mejar Dr Faiz Khaleed who tested out something called the Multi Axis Simulator.


The atmosphere was great and personally, I always enjoy doing a show with a "live" audience as you could feed off the energy from the crowd.

After the TX, we were then invited to have some breakfast, Johor-style. Which meant lontong and fried tempe with sambal kicap, among other stuff. Hehe. Thanks for the hospitality UTM!


I stayed back in JB for the next couple of days as the fam joined me for some R & R. Food pics will be shared soon, but before that, have a look at these shots we snapped as we left JB city yesterday.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin