Friday, May 20, 2011

Las Vacas Meat Shop

I remember distinctly the day I first heard about this place. A facebook friend (who’s also a colleague in real life), expressed his craving for a good steak and mentioned the name Las Vacas Meat Shop. It didn’t ring any bells for me at that time, but it got me intrigued.

I googled for the address, and drove from Bandar Utama to the place in Kelana Jaya right away after work. And lo and behold, the place…

…was closed. Argghh! Yup, the first thing you need to remember is that Las Vacas is closed every Monday. But I was not about to give up. And just a couple of days later, I was back there; all geared up for a real Meat Experience.

My first impression when I walked into the joint was that this place felt rather “homely”. With simple furnishings courtesy of your neighbourhood Swedish furniture shop (ahem) and random posters and drawings on the wall, I instantly felt comfortable. I was greeted by this guy, Freddy, who later turned out to be a co-owner, and he seemed sincere to make my visit a delicious one.

After surveying the meats on display (they’re flown in from Australia), and upon recommendation, I chose the Black Angus Rib-eye steak, medium-well. I know, I know, just the mere mention of that made you salivate, right? And I make no apologies for it.

The grilling didn’t take long and before I knew it, this majestic piece of meat was already served on a plate on my table. The steaks here are accompanied by a simple, no-frills salad and garlic bread, and there are a couple of sauce options on the table including grain-mustard and HP. But no, this being primarily a butchery, they don’t serve other “fancy” sauces like black pepper or lemon garlic.

I cut through the thick, yet tender steak and the first bite blew me away. It was perfectly grilled, and the meat felt so good in my mouth. The marvelous marbling made it a joy to chew and savour every single juicy bite. And adding just a dash of mustard made it even more heavenly.
Seriously, I felt like I was watching “Titanic” as tears threatened to fall shamelessly. But of course, these were tears of joy I’m talking about.

At the end of the steak, I was fully satisfied. I rubbed my tummy and let out a small burp. No one looked at me funnily cos I was sure everyone felt exactly the same way. It didn’t matter that it was a slightly pricy meal (RM28.00 per 100gms for the steak); this was money well-spent.
I’m somewhat of a regular now at Las Vacas. And apart from the steaks, I would also wolf down the big and juicy lamb burgers with the same amount of passion and gusto.

Great food, a relaxed ambience and they know me by name. Really, what more could I ask for?

Las Vacas Meat Shop
No.23, Jalan SS 5A/11, Kelana Jaya
47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum..
abg zul mcmmana steak kt sana..?
kedai tu dimiliki oleh ex boss suami sy en dayan dan rakan kongsinya en freddy..
ms sy singgah sana hanya jual fresh steak blom ada yg masak lg..
byk kali juga en dayan pelawa dtg termasuk new outlet mount kiara tp blom ada kesempatan lg..suami sy bekerja di RM Livestock Sdn Bhd Kluang Johor.. pembekal lembu dan kambing yg dulu GMnya en dayan!!

M.Zul said...

w'salam. ya, saya pun kenal diaorang tu...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin