Friday, January 25, 2008

In Case You Didn't Know...

This year’s Anugerah Juara Lagu is only a couple of days away and I think this is the best time to shamelessly talk about my own AJL exploits. Yes, I have indeed competed in the final of the most prestigious song competition in the land. Twice. Not bad for a part-time lyricist huh?

The first time was in 2004 when I co-wrote the lyrics with Siti Nurhaliza for her song Ku Milikmu. And I tell ya, not many other experiences could ever rival that very first time. It’s kinda like, you know, sex.

But seriously, it was indeed a surreal experience for me, having grown up watching AJL from its very first edition. And to be there with the country’s no 1 singer, and having 15,000 people cheer for you was simply awesomeness of the highest degree. To be honest, I didn’t want that night to end. And it was cool that Siti took home the Best Performance trophy for that song.

I made it the final again the following year. This time with Akademi Fantasia’s first champion Vince Chong with the ballad Mengapa Harus Cinta. There was less people in the stadium that year, but I’ve got to admit that I was equally nervous.

What’s also interesting was that I got to parade two different looks for both finals. The first time around I had my long hair on and very much looked like one of those arty types who didn’t have to try hard to look cool. Haha!



And the following year, I had chopped off the hair and went for the good guy in suit look instead.


I’m just waiting to qualify on an Irama Malaysia ticket so I can go crazy with the tengkolok and keris look…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmmm....

I must have been so out of the AJL fever when u had long hair....

:)

Twinkle said...

WAhhhhh... U wrote Ku Milikmu with Siti? Caya laahh... I love the song...

HAhaha can't wait to see u with keris, tanjak.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin