Saturday, February 24, 2024

Food, Glorious Food!: Congrats, Mee Kolok!


Mee Kolok has been gazetted as a National Heritage Food! First time I tasted it was of course when I got posted to Kuching back in 1996. Thought it was only ok lah. Basic noodle dish. Then I was transferred to Miri, and things got serious. 

I started going to this one shop near the market opposite the old Miri Court building and it quickly became a daily routine. I would go with a colleague, the late Brian Bryan Mason, and for variety,  I would alternate between dry and soupy mee kolok. Haha. For a year plus, mee kolok was almost my daily weekday breakfast! 😃 

So, where's my favourite mee kolok now? In Kuching, Kopi o Corner and Bismillah Cafe. In Miri it's Mat Kolok (see picture). And in the Klang Valley, Salted in Mutiara Damansara. Nyaman!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin