Thursday, June 04, 2009

My Top 10 Favourite Hard Rock Songs Of The 80s

About a month ago I came up with a similar list for Pop songs, and till today there are still those who feel very tak puas hati. Hey, personal lists are supposed to subjective ok? And the fun is always in the debate! So peeps, feel free to agree or disagree with me again…

10. Rock You Like A Hurricane by Scorpions
It was probably the first rockin’ riff I ever truly appreciated. And who didn’t love Scorpions back then in Malaysia? Just too bad they’re worshipped more for the sappy ballads over here.

9. Why Can’t This Be Love? by Van Halen
‘Jump’ was their biggest hit, but this was the Van Halen tune that got me reaching for the “repeat” button non-stop. Love the keyboards, the understated yet mesmerizing solo and Sammy Hagar brings “heavy tenderness” like no one else. Fact.

8. Dr Feelgood by Motley Crue
Fuh, what a song this is. From the awesome drums by Tommy Lee to the riff to Vince Neil’s vocals, this is the perfect Crue song. The guys had gone clean by that point in time but the music’s as dirty as ever. What a classic.

7. Heavy Chains by Loudness
Oh how I loved this Japanese outfit back then. Bought the T-Shirt as well, and here’s a riff that I practiced day and night to get it right. Didn’t really understand what he was singing about, but it rocked my socks off nonetheless.

6. Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison
Yeah, yeah, it’s such a simple power ballad. Yet, I still have it on good rotation on my iPod. And I bet you do too. Don’t bluff lah…

5. Nobody’s Fool by Cinderella
Oh yeah, I was a big Cinderella fan. Bought the T-shirt, bracelet and whatnot. Vocalist Tom Keifer had one of the most unique voices and ‘Nobody’s Fool’, taken from their classic debut album, ‘Night Songs’, demonstrates best the band’s dark and bluesy qualities.

4. Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
How can this list not have Def Leppard? So many good songs, cacat drummer and all. But of course this one tops it all. It’s pure fun rock n roll that you could sing along to. Everybody now: “Pour some sugar on me, oooo, in the name of love…”

3. Sweet Child O Mine by Guns N Roses
Overplayed to death a good number of years, but come on, that guitar lick by Slash will forever give you that special sensation to simply rock out. Although, I know you’re still wondering what the answer to “where do we go now?” is, right?

2. Master of Puppets by Metallica
I remember hearing the tune for the first time and was completely blown away by the speed and heaviness of it all. “People can really play like this, ah?” I thought. Duh, they're Metallica, of course can lah! It’s a piece of metal classic. Full stop.

1. Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi
It had to be a Bon Jovi song, didn’t it? I mean, this was what 80s glam rock was all about: Band members in boots and bandanas, a big sing-along chorus and the video with Bon Jovi himself flying about took the tune a few notches up. God bless Tommy and Gina…



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Johan Ishak says: Bon jovi? Man..... Kill Bon Jovi... Put Master of Puppets No1 and Another Brick ina Wall as No2 will yer

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin