Monday, June 27, 2011

The Standard Chartered KL Marathon

It was without a doubt one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in my life. Sure, I only did the 5km Run, but this being the KL Marathon, it had that extra bit of excitement and prestige. Really, just as recent as 3 months ago, didn't think I'd be part of the 22,000 that would cross the finish line at Dataran Merdeka, but I did it!

So here's the full recap...

I woke up around 4am yesterday and felt rather good, seeing how I went to bed earlier than usual. With all my stuff laid out and prepared the night before, I only needed a shower before getting in the car and driving off for the event.

But my worst fear suddenly came true: the route I wanted to take to get to the parking lot at Jalan Tanglin was closed, as by the time I reached KL, they had started the Full Marathon. Bummer!

But I had a contingency plan in mind, which was to take the train from somewhere and get to the Masjid Jamek station before walking to Tugu Negara for the 5km start. I then wound up in Brickfields, and after having my two pisangs and powerbar in the car, I headed to the KL Sentral monorail station before switching to the LRT from Hang Tuah. Train stations at 5am are very quiet, I can tell you :)



I hopped off at Masjid Jamek, and walked towards Dataran Merdeka...


It was close to 6am but the carnival atmosphere could be heard and seen. It was almost time for the start of the Half Marathon, and you could feel the excitement in the air.


I took a pee and waited to witness the start myself. Damn, 21km; these people are amazing lah...


Then it was time to head on to the Tugu Negara where the 10km and 5km starting point was. Yup, we had to walk quite a distance even before the actual event itself!



After much waiting, it finally started for me at 8am!



But it was quickly apparent that I had made a tactical error. Because I started at the back, I had to work hard to get past the slow coaches that included couples holding hands like it was a bloody walk at Teluk Cempedak!


After 2.5km, I felt a bit "pancit", but by the 3rd km, I found an extra gear and actually picked up my pace! (YES, I was actually running AND tweeting!)


The final km was actually the whole stretch of Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, and with the right music on my iPod, and cheered on by random strangers, it was an awesome run to the finish line. I swore I had goosebumps as I imagined myself being in a remake of "Chariots of Fire" ...


And like I said, it was awesomely satisfying...


And here's my time as recorded by the iPod. Not bad, huh?


And to end the event on a high note, I treated myself to this...


Up next: the ntv7 Feel Good Run on 3rd July!

2 comments:

xitane said...

Gambar sisi nampak tough la! Good job & see u at FGR 2011

M.Zul said...

Thanks :) see you then!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin